CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Mo The Champion

[this was supposed to be posted before previous post, but it got saved as draft somehow]

So a few weeks ago, me and Mo went to a show called a Combined Test. I never really knew these things existed before hearing about this one, and since it was about five minutes away from my house, I was game to try. Essentially, you ride a dressage test and then jump a stadium course. Based on your scores from both, a division winner is decided.

I decided just a few days before the show to enter Mo. We chose the smallest division - an Entry level dressage test and a 2'3 jump course, because I didnt really leave us much practice time. It was the Friday of this weekend that I filmed my Finesse Audition, so I felt pretty ready to ride a dressage test.

The day before the show it rained non-stop. I am not kidding, it just rained and rained and rained some more! I was starting to think I would have to teach Mo the backstroke to get to X! Due to the rain, there was no practice on the day before. Luckily, Sunday dawned nicely.

We were pretty much the only trailer-in competitor, other than Jeanette and Toby. Which meant we had plenty of space to warm up and play. Warm up and online play went really well. Short but intense and focused. Then it was time to braid and saddle up! Mo looks so fancy all braided up and with her fancy white saddle pad! Our warm up ride got to run long because things were a little behind, but thats ok. We played with transitions and sideways and canter-walk transitions. Mo was really happy and confident in the bridle, and happy to move forward because it was a chilly day!

Then it was our turn!! We trotted around the arena a few times before we were called in. During one of our rounds the judge said hello and complimented Mo! How nice is that? :) When the bell rang [it was actually a duck call because the bell was being drowned out by the wind, ha!]  we were close to the gate and I opted to head in. Probably a bad move, because we lots rhythm and straightness suffered. Oh well!

Luckily, I had Amanda calling for me, even though I had the test memorized, because then I could just focus and ride :) Mo was great. I was and am SO proud of her! She was rhythmic and consistent and responsive! We broke our canter on the second circle, but otherwise I felt really really good about everything else. Snappy transitions, nice direction and circles and relaxation, most of all!

Coming out of the test I felt really happy. Thats what was the best part. I was so proud of Mo, and she was still happy! I took her to the sidelines to watch Jeanette and Toby do their round. They did great too! After both tests we headed back to the trailer to get the ponies some well deserved hay snacks and find ourselves some lunch!

While on lunch the results for our first class were released.... MO GOT FIRST!!!!!!!!!!! I was basically beside myself with pride! Mo was so amazing that even the judge noticed! In the comments section there was a note that said NICE HORSE in all caps :D What a nice judge! We scored a 71% on our test!

Mo got a big red ribbon and even a bag full of horsey treats :D She was obviously very tired after such an effort....



After lunch it was time to warm up for jumping. Mo did her classic and over jumped everything from the long spot in the warm up. It was ok, I am getting better at riding it at least. Then it was our turn!

Into the jump arena we went. It was a very tight twisty turny course, but Mo is good at that. There were lots of Mo eating flowers, which Mo wildly over jumped, but we lived. Because she was a little spazzy I opted to ride again, and the second time out was SO MUCH BETTER! I was just happy that Mo was able to maintain more rhythm and fowardness through the course !

Happy with our effort, but totally not expecting a ribbon [ I actually forgot our second round could still count] we went back to the trailer to untack and get many scratches. When I came back to watch the little kids go, the score keeper/ ribbon giver found me and told me that MO WON! AGAIN!!



Some how, Mo got the optimum time!! I didnt even know what it was, but somehow she got it! WAY TO GO MO!!

Mo got FIRST in both of our classes!!! Which means she was CHAMPION in our division!!! How cool is that?

Not only our first, first place ribbon, but there were two of them AND a fancy giant Champion ribbon!

Mo rocked my socks the whole day and it paid off :D YEY MO!!!

:D
S

0 comments: