CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Silly Mo

I had such an interesting play with Mo today. She seemed sad, and interested all at the same time. I am surely anthropomorphizing here, but thats how I felt from her.

She came up to the tack room when I went out, but when Zephyr and Blue came to, and I approached her with a halter, she left. That's unusual for her, and our last play was really good, so I didnt think it had anything to do with that. I called her name, and she came back, but again when I offered her the halter, she opted out. How interesting! She was looking really worried when she left, and I felt like Zephyr was 'saying' something to her to make her leave [so she could get the halter] Again with the anthropomorphizing, but hey, thats how it felt!

Mo went around the sad barn, so I went over to the corner, just to where I could see her, but not all the way over to her. I called her name, and again she came right back. I gave her a cookie, but by the time I got the halter out, she left again and Zephyr was right there again. Hmm. I walked out to her a few more steps, and this time when she came in, she really felt like she was coming TO me, not just over because I called her. It felt really different. I am not sure how to describe the other times, it just wasnt normal for her. I never chased after her when she left, because she wasnt *really* leaving.... just moving her feet... Im not sure how to say it.

So this time when she came over, she haltered normally, had a big blow out and lick and chew. Really interesting. I also got to chase Zephyr and Chance away from her, so I think that helped. We went over to the barn, got brushed, scratched some itches and doused in fly spray before heading out on a 12' line. I have been trying to experiment with slowing down her canter on a 12' circle. Just to see what we can do with collection. She can maintain a really nice forward canter on  the circle, but we have been playing with slower/collected, just for fun. She was really getting it and trying hard today, but in the trot, there wasnt much relaxation. Usually she will blow and stretch a lot, but today, whether that was just her mood, or the wind was bugging her, or she is in heat and off center.... who knows, she just wasnt relaxing how she usually does.

I played with the circle and asking for flexion and stretch until she was really starting to look for answers and she finally tried a stretch. After that first stretchy try, it was easy and she blew out bunches and stretched a lot. It took a really long time to get there though! I was surprised.

Once she was calm/connected/responsive, we went over to the tire and wood chunk I was using as my figure eight with Zephyr the other day and played with that. My goal was a rhythmic calm trot on the whole pattern, without micromanaging - I want her to seek the pattern.

Things were great at the walk. She was really responsive, following my focus and maintaining forward motion. When she got into the trot, things got a little dicey with forward around the turns - she would get stuck and then canter off. Lots of effort, but not rhythmic. So we kept at it, me doing minimal anything unless she got stuck or cut across "my" cone. By the end, we achieved the goal! She even offered to stretch while going around!

After saddling, she chased the bridle at a walk [whoo!] and when everything was good to go, I mounted up. For the first time in, I think ever, Mo was a little herd bound! As we were walking around, testing our stage 1 GOC, she was actually looky, and a little tight about [most] of the herd being out in the bush! Chance was in the field with us, but Mo doesnt really like her, so I guess she doesnt count [poor Chance]

Mo actually called out to the herd, which resulted in a full out everybody-lets-run-like-crazy-into-the-small-field, which was hysterical. It has actually become their new favorite game since going out there. About 7:30 every night, I hear what sounds like thunder, but really its just everyone coming up for their evening drink [or something, not really sure why they all come thundering up at the same time every night] Also, if I cant see any of them, and whistle, the thunder comes. Or, sometimes Zephyr gets adventurous, and goes off by herself, and she is the only one I cant find in the close pasture, so I call her, and she comes running hell bent up to the barn for cookies. Thank goodness for that, because I dont know if I could find her in that bush if I tried!

Once everyone was up,  Mo calmed down, and we played with some stretchy trot and then holding opposite flexions at a walk. Left flexion was hard, right flexion was easy. She tried really hard though! Then I decided we should go out to the hay field, so we cantered off to the gate and moseyed our way back to the back field, where we proceeded with a point to point to the yellow flowers, playing with canter halt transitions. At each start and finish, I would ask Mo to hold vertical flexion, without doing anything else. She often gets antsy with that, expecting to back or stretch or go, so it was a really good thing to play with just relaxing and waiting for further instruction. She got it after only two or three transitions, and started looking for the yellow flowers I was picking, so she could stop and eat the good grasses.

To finish off with, I upped the ante and asked for some speed and flying changes. We got one each way, in between a couple of cross-firey ones. Then back to some transitions, a little frame at the trot, and a nice walk back to the barn. Behind the barn, in all the long grass, I took of Mo's bridle and let her graze while I sat there, just enjoying her company.

We slowly made our way back to the barn, sidled our way through the gate and off I hopped, to hug my sweet, sweet pony :) After untacking and brushing, I got Mo a little grain snack. She munched away and then kindly handed me her bowl when she was done.

By the time we finished up, two and a half hours flew by, but it was just so much fun,a dn Mo seemed all back to normal and happy when we parted ways for lunch :)

 - S

0 comments: