CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Year in Review....

It's that time of year again..... T's birthday, which spurs me to remember it will be my birthday shortly, which then spurs such thoughts as " HOLY COW, why am I getting so OLD?!" and "What have I done with this life of mine??"

So let's recap this past year.... *gulp*

This time last year, I was just fresh off of working full time in a less than enthusiastic environment that caused me an awful lot of stress. Yes it paid the bills, but no, it wasn't good for my health - mental, emotional OR physical! This time last year, I was also fresh back from picking up Mr Gambler! Mo was also just ramping up to her mystery illness :(

Luckily, Mo got better, and continues to BE better! Gambler has gone home, and its fairly quiet in the field without him gallomphing around!!

Phyr continues to amaze me :) I love that baby pony with my whole heart. She is brave, she is opinionated, she is cuddley, she is wonderful. We have had three rides in a saddle this summer so far. Her three year old year has started off to be a very relaxing one for her :) She had her first canter with me on her on that second saddle ride. She was perfect :) Zephyr will get her first field trip this coming long weekend when we head up to Jeanette's place in Luskville for an overnight and a workshop. I have no doubt she will enjoy herself thoroughly!

Mo has really stepped up this summer as my adventure partner locally. Looking back, we really have done quite a few things so far this season! We started off with an amazing clinic with Fawn Anderson, went straight from there to Horse Day, and from there right to London Horse and Soul! We also participated in just about every single Hunt Event held in the area that was open to the public. There was a Spring Hunter Pace[rode Gambler though], a Treasure Hunt, a Poker Pace and two Trail Rides. All of these were new to Mo, since I would usually take Indy before. Mo has more than proven herself a viable hunt-activity companion!

Indy has moved on to her new home. Thats been odd/nice. It is so fun to see her with someone else and having success, and its nice to know what advice to offer her new partner if she hits the same roadblocks I have overcome with her. I am glad she is still local, so I can keep up with her.

In a more broad range, I am almost 27 years old. Holy Crap. I thought I would have more stuff sorted out by now. I thought I would have figured out how NOT to hate doing dishes, or how to inspire myself to LOVE folding laundry, but alas, no. I still wait until I need a clean cup before doing dishes, and I still have a "clean basket" and a "dirty basket" of laundry. Why cant the stuff fold itself?? Why is it SO much more fun to roll polos and fold horse blankets than my own tshirts and jeans? Answer me that, Universe. My tack room? Immaculate - obviously in use daily, but clean. Organized. Tidy. Swept. My house... well, its clean..ish.

My house. Well. I guess that in and of itself is an accomplishment. Two whole years living my dream here on my very own farm. I am pretty much still impressed with that fact daily. Sometimes multiple times a day. I can guarantee you, EVERY single time I am driving up my laneway, I am feeling gratitude and love for my house. It is unbelievable, I know. How can someone feel that all the time?? But I do. I LOVE my home. It is my spirits true HOME. I have had a few houses and places to live in my life. But this IS HOME. Do you understand?

It is far from perfect. Varo dug some holes [ OH HEY! VARO happened in the last year! More later..] The kitchen isnt finished, the bathroom still needs drywall.... My indoor arena still isnt here yet [really beacuse the lottery people keep drawing the wrong numbers!] But it is Home, and it is MINE!! The sheer overwhelming joy I feel every single day when I remember that [ less so when I remember I have to pay the mortgage, but still] just makes every day brighter. When I can ride out into the hayfield - the same hayfield that makes me enough hay to not have to buy any! - and go eat apples from my very own apple tree while Mo grazes and snacks on her own apples blows my mind. How much luckier can one person be? I keep thinking "Oh, its the 'new house' thing, it will wear off"..... but it has been two years? Still feeling pretty amazing. I hope I always do. This place is not something I want to take for granted. I never want to lose this! Basically, I plan to die here. [way way waaayyyy down the line, to be clear]

So I still have a house. That's a bonus. My foray into self employment as a sustainable means of income has been an interesting one. Mostly positive. A little scary from Christmas time to March or so this year though! Terrible weather made outdoor activity basically impossible, so in January I was hired by my mom's store to do web work, admin and some fun graphic design stuff. I have done a multitude of things from build a catalog to fill out an excel sheet. Very exciting stuff, I assure you. Really, its the people who make the day. The work is work. There is a lot of it that I just nod and smile and fill out the form. BUT, it is my Mom's store, she is very proud of it, and so I get to spend time with her, and R. T's bf D works there too, and he is basically hysterically funny all the time, so he makes every day a good one. I still need to sort out the lighting thing though. The SADS still come, and I try to help it every year. The down side of the store is that it has no windows, so it is kind of dark. Ah well! Small things. I am grateful for the opportunity to be there anyways!

I feel very lucky to be able to do all that I do. I value being able to help out my family. I am also VERY lucky that when I call the night before and have a "you know you are a horse girl when" moment saying "Is it ok if I am 20 minutes late tomorrow? Theres a HUGE sale at the tack store and I NEED to pick up Mo a new blanket!" and I get the smile and "yea, no problem" response. I know that on the other end of the phone my mom is shaking her head, rationalizing as much as I am that Mo SURELY needs this new blanket. She must be used to this by now, but I still appreciate the understanding :) I cant say I have had that in every boss Ive known!

This summer has been a full one. Both of events and with teaching, and even a few horses here for training. I have truly enjoyed being so busy doing what I love. It is so nice to be able to take advantage of the weather while we can! It was a cold rainy start to summer this year. I felt like it would never be warm again. Finally warm came in the end of June and July though. I hope we have a nice long fall to make up for the crummy spring!

I havent yet achieved my summer goal. I want to tape and send in my Finesse Audition to Parelli so that I can finish up my Level 4 and get that darned black string. I know its not about the string, but at this point, I really just want it so it can be done! I think I might try and tape this weekend at Jeanettes. We shall see. I put so much pressure on myself when it come to finesse. I am silly that way. Everything we need to do for our audition, we can do bridle-less. Put reins in my hands and I forget how to ride. *sigh* Mo fills in for me a lot, so maybe, just maybe, we can muddle our way through and just get better from here!

So!

Things I feel like I have done well in the past year  - I feel very successful with maintaining a household and farm. We have done hay again this summer, and at one point had 9 horses living here, and I survived and still felt energized. We put up some new fencing to split off the field in three for rotational purposes, and are gearing up to move Blackcow and Browncow into freezer mode.

I feel good about my balance this year between a steady job [Mom's store] teaching, and spending time at events I want to play at - aka Hunt things, clinics, lessons for ME! Last year I felt so tapped out all the time because of work and trying to teach on top of it, it was just bad. This year feels much more balanced. Even on days I do work, I still come home energized, because I am enjoying it.

I am really enjoying just having two horses again. I really loved having four for a brief time, but it is nice to have two who I love with my whole heart, and who I feel that true connection with. I got outside and they both come over, both try to steal the halter, both clamor for cookies. I feel focused. I have a plan.

Things I need to improve for next year - this is a tough one! This year has been outstanding really. I probably should improve my house cleaning skills or dishes doing. Possibly finding more "couples friendly" activities with D would be appreciated by him.

Thats all Ive got on my mind for now :)

- S :)



2 comments:

Jennifer said...

As your Mom, it truly makes me happy to read how HAPPY you are in your life. (dishes and laundry excluded of course - we all know how I feel about vacuuming *shudder*)
Anyways.. I digress...

When I look back on my life, my major focus for many many years was raising you and your sister and I am proud and impressed with both of you now. It warms my heart that you both have solid relationships, you both own your own home/farm and you are both happy with what you do in your lives.

We can all improve small things here and there - clean more (maybe) exercise more, lose weight, earn more money, whatever... but ULTIMATELY, it's that "happy to be home" feeling that makes life worth living :)

I am SO proud of what you've accomplished and SO proud of your attitude and your life plans! If the lottery gods favour me first, I promise I will help you with that indoor arena ! LOL

Love you TONS
xoxox
MOM

Jennifer said...

p.s. I will look into finding you an anti-SADS light for the store... :) xoxoxo