CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Face Hurts!

.... from smiling to much of course!!

Today was a fantastic day with Mo!

I went out to the barn and walked out the back to call Mo and she looked up and came right over! She was halfway to the far corner, so it was a pretty excellent feeling! I love that Mo is so enthusiastic these days! It really makes me feel good about what we are playing with.

We cleaned up and got ready in the barn before heading into the round pen. Once there I unclipped the reins and started with a little hindquarter yeild and sideways. Mo was in a really good mood, and I remembered some little cookies to help motivate her.  Things were going really great! She was very in tune to me, and really sticking with me. She offered me an incredibly soft trotting figure eight that made me squee out loud.... and then she decided that wasnt enough.

I half heartedly asked her to go off on a circle, which she usually squeals off to the fenceline of the round pen and does her laps there, BUT NOT TODAY!

Today, not only did she not squeal off, she left calmly at a trot, and stayed close to me, about a 12' circle and trotted TWO laps that close like she did it every day! HOLY WOW! Thats a first for Mo! I was SO excited, I brought her in before she lost interest and stuffed her face with all the cookies in my pockets while hugging her and scratching all her itchy spots and telling her she was awesome.

After allowing her to soak on that for a bit, I mounted and off we went on our adventure. I usually mount inside the round pen, since then we have to gates to open before we can be free, and today Mo was really soft and clever about the gates. It was such a treat! She is regularly pretty good, just sometimes gets a little ahead of herself, but today she was spot on and SUPER light!

Once we were on the laneway things were going really well. We passed the place where we had thresholds the other day and made it almost to the big tree before having one. It probably took ten minutes and a whole bunch of thresholds to make it to the 3/4 mark of the laneway, but once we were past it was smooth sailing. We made it all the way to the fresh cut field where the combine was the other day, before having another threshold.

After that one was addressed we trotted off and moseyed around the feild. I didnt really have a plan or a focus, and I think Mo felt that. I was still just flying high from the liberty wowness. Mo was a bit wishy washy at first, wandering this way and that, and feeling like she was getting tighter, so I finally clicked back into the present and did something about it. I put her on a circle, though it was pretty big to navigate in and around the moguls and hills the field was made up of.

She picked up the canter on her own, but I didnt slow her down, just directed her energy to maintain the circle. She got faster in the beginning but then started to level out in speed, and then miraculously her head went down, she started stretching and blowing, moving off my leg without speeding up.... WHOOHOO!!!

By the time we finished, we were bombing around the field doing flying lead changes freestyle and stopping without me even picking up the reins! Overall, pretty successful I think! I was smiling the whole time, and now my face is sore... Completely worth it though! I love Mo!

:-)
S

2 comments:

Parelli Central said...

Wow! Sounds like an absolutely AWESOME play session...
Good for you - and Mo!

Petra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
Parelli Central

Laura said...

What a great day! Its those special days that keep us going through all the shall we say "harder" days! Good for you. I've always been impressed by your horsemanship and I'm so glad to see you being able to make a life from horses.