CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Zephyr, the Amazing Super Pony :D

In general, Zephyr is a goober. I love her and adore her goofy personality. She does silly things like eat rocks in case they are cookies on the ground, and mirror whatever Mo does in hopes of earning more cookies too. She's two, she's a dork ball, and left brain as far as the eye can see.

Today was a landmark day for Miss Attitude herself. Today, I was going about my business this morning, playing with ponies, and then putting some cream on Phyr-phyrs leg when I decided it would be fun to have a little Zephyr sit today. She was so mellow and in tune and yawning just from the little walk in from the pasture. Seemed like a good idea to me :)

So we wander over to the mounting block, I tied my 12' into reins and got up on the block. My little pro sidewaysed right over to pick me up :D Smart ponies make my day. Little tiny things like not having to argue about mounting or chase them with the mounting block just make me so so so very happy. Like having a functional gate thats easy to open and close and latch. The simple things, right?

So she sidled right up, and I hopped right on after a rub. Zephyr is just great, she always looks forward to everything with her people. I know this is total anthropomorphization, but I feel like when I ride the others, she watches and asks me "When is it my turn??" I love her enthusiasum. I pretty much cant walk out to the feild without her trying to shove her head in the halter I am carrying. Unless I sneak past her and she doesnt see me, and then she comes over as soon as she does and tries to steal the halter anyways. Goober.

Sitting on Zephyr has got to be one of my new favorite places to be. New, just because I havent done it hardly at all. Because she is two. Obviously. My goal isnt to have her pooping out flying changes before she is three, just to get comfy with the idea of a person above zone three and possibly a person with ridiculous ideas and uncoordinated limbs - ie: me! So far that plan is going wonderously. I feel like I can sit up there for as long as I want and she is A-OK with that! Lateral flexion is feeling great, and especially light when there are cookies involved - like today!

Bend for cookies is officially Phyr-phyr's new favorite game. Her eyes lit up the first time she got one. Adorable. She really is battling the cuteness that was baby Mo. She is just SO cute ! Her little fluffly forelock that wont seem to grow just gives her that baby faced innocence.... until you see the evil sparkle in her eye and wonder what she is plotting next [she usually bucks off squealing about then] Not today though! She was all focused and paying attention to me - and cookies.

We sat for a while, and played with bending, and then Mo came by, and then the herd came by, and I thought it would be a great idea to ask Zephyr to walk over to the herd. I have been hesitant to ask for motion on the other two or three times I was on her just because I didnt feel total acceptance and understanding from her to just relax and have fun. Today I felt like we were all green lights, and I could probably live through a walk with no bucks!

So I started thinking forward, and tried leading rein starts to get her feet un-stuck. We ended up doing lots of FQ/HQ yeilds, which was great, she figured out how to balance and everything! Even a few steps backwards, and then, when I was just focusing "over there" and rubbing her, off she moseyed! Just like that! Stop to sniff the mounting block, give it a lick [yum?] and doo dee doo off we went!

HOLY COW! Zephyr just had her first RIDE! I bent her to a stop after maybe 8-10 steps, before she could get distracted or think evil thoughts and I jumped off and Zephyr got the hug of a lifetime! She looked pretty proud of herself - smug child. I was out of cookies by then, so we wandered back to the barn to get her face stuffed, and I even made her a special snack with crunch, supplements and cookies all mushed together. I think she liked it :D

As if today with Zephyr couldnt get better, this afternoon while I was playing some friendly game with Mo and the ball, Zephyr wanders over to say hello. We have had maybe three days with the ball, and she was mostly confident. Apparently very confident, because as I am bouncing hte ball around Mo, she comes over and gets in the way - as Zephyr does - and so I start bouncing the ball at her, off her and back to me. She just looked at me all happyface. I was reminded of my cousin Chelsea when she was very young. One day we were throwing soft plastic balls around and it hit her forehead and she laughed... this repeated several times and she laughed each time. Zephyr was doing the pony equivilant in my mind.... bounce ball, ball bounces up under her chin or onto her chest and back to me... she stands there with happy ears looking very pleased with herself.. silly silly gooberchild.

I love Zephyr.... She is going to be amazing when she growns up!

:D
S

0 comments: