CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Friday, February 25, 2011

Fun Times at the Intern Barn!

Week two as an Intern is coming to a close. Life has been pretty exciting this week. We had a lot of focus on driving, with Nate Bowers teaching us the fundamentals of harnessing and the systems that are involved in driving teams and singles. We mostly finished with our testing now, and are all eagerly awaiting our results! I feel like things mostly went well so far. It has been fun learning about driving, even if it isnt where I want my main focus to be.

During our horsemanship time we have played with a lot of different things, like bridless yeilds, fluid rein and cloverleaf patterns. During personal horsemanship time today I lost a bit of focus [oops] and wandered into the round pen to see what I could come up with. Well now! What my idle brain ended up coming up with was this... backwards riding! Waaaay back, years ago, when I first started Parelli, or shortly thereafter, I had a goal of backing my horse by the tail while riding. I decided that since I had addressed this quite a bit from the ground lately, now would be a fabulous time to readdress it under saddle. Well, bareback.

SO! I went around-the-world as it were and was sitting backwards on my ever wonderful and loving Mo. She really does make this whole being away from home at such important times thing bearable. Id be crazy[er] without her. Sitting backwards I lean down and gently tug a few hairs like I would on the ground and VOILA ! Insta backwards steps! How cool is that? To fun.

Of course, being me, I couldnt stop there. Nope. Then I started doing walk/stop/backup transitions while sitting backwards. SO much fun. I think I smiled and laughed the whole time. Im sure I got some silly looks, but I was to focused on my entertainment to notice. Then I got really brave.... I tried some trot steps! It felt so odd! But it was so fun! Mo was a complete rockstar super trooper and just toodled on, behaving perfectly. We even got some awesome direct/indirect rein once I figured out where I needed to arrange myself since I was backwards!

Hows that for a fluidity lesson?
Pretty fun I think. Maybe Ill do it again tomorrow.....

:-)
S

0 comments: