CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Friday, February 11, 2011

Made it to Ocala

The journey began on a dark and frigid morning, one blustery Tuesday in February. The sun hadnt woken yet, but Jack Frost was having far to much fun harassing us. I woke up warm in my bed, though at an insanely early hour.... only to be thrust out into the icy icy breeze whipping the snowfall around. -20something with the wind said the radio. Eep!

Saying goodbye is the hardest part of leaving, even though I know I am coming back. Snuggling one last time with Cario, as he squirms in protest, not really sure why I am squeezing him quite so tightly. I miss the little bugger already. He did make a valiant effort as a stow away, but I have confirmation that he remains at home. Goodbye hugs with Mom are so regular these days with all my travels, its almost routine. Yes Mom, Ill drive carefully, text you often and be good. Love you *hug*.  Generally how that rolls out. It works for us.

Figuring out how to say goodbye to D was a little harder and more stressful. Thats a whole new situation and leaving with the whole house-buying-thing going on really doesnt feel like the cleverest plan, but what else can I do? Just going to have to trust the people at home working on it. I know it will all work out fabulously, and then when I go home I get to pack some more because we will be moving to our very own house in July! Seventy acres to do anything I want with... hello HEAVEN!

I managed a high spirited goodbye to Aunty, C and C. My goodbye to Jax was a little more solemn. I always hate leaving him because he gets so depressed. I really hope he will be ok with Teddy around for company. My little/giant old-man-puppy isnt as young as he used to be, and I still need him around for many more years...

So then came the loading. Indy was pretty much her usual RBE self, determined that the wind was turning the trailer into a shadowy horse eating monster, and to be fair, it kinda looked like that anyways. She hopped about for five to ten minutes and then remembered, 'Oh, right, trailer, adventure time' and got on. Mo was her usual rockstar self and marched right on. Do I ever love that pony. SO reliable!

It wasnt snowing, no, but it was crazy windy. We decided to leave anyways. If it had been snowing at home, I likely would have waited out another day - but apparently it snowstormed the next day, so that would have been a bad plan to. Anyways. We left, and it was SLIPPERY. I was white-knuckling it the whole time. It is one thing to slip around when its just you and your lonely vehicle. But I had VERY precious cargo in the back - and I really dont think E would have appreciated a visit to the ditch either. As we wiggled our way down to the border things got a little better.

Crossing went extra smooth and off we went onto Highway 37. Now, let me advise you, if its blustery and winter, you likely dont want to take this road with a horse trailer. I didnt know this, but lesson learned. We lived through it, but we went veerrryyyy slowly. It wasnt great times. Several grey hairs from that experience Im sure. When we finally made it to I-81 this funny thing happened... we couldnt go. We had no speed pressure. Bugger. Call dad. He says he thinks the fuel lines are frozen so we limped to a truck stop and got some 911 stuff thats supposed to unfreeze things. We also were able to have the very nice lady at the truck stop call a little garage  down the road to have a look at our fuel filter. So we limped there.

That little event was an adventure in and of itself. Inside the garage bay was a firetruck. Inside the garage bay was also my truck and trailer wedged against a side, that we had to take a running start to get into because their lot wasnt plowed and it was on a little uphill that Goliath kept spinning out on going slow. Good times. Now, Mr Garage Man was very very nice, but I will say he had no idea what he was looking at because he couldnt even find our fuel filter and sent us off on our way again. Poop.

Back limping on I-81 for a little longer, going a grand total of 70km/hr. Whooooo we were flying! *sigh* It was so stressful not knowing what was wrong with the truck. AND not being more than three hours from home yet ! We got off at another little sketchy exit and found a whole bunch of garages. We went from one to the other to the other, all of them busy and unable to help until we got one call referal to the EVER SO WONDERFUL Skips Pit Stop. The one garage we were at called them, they said they would order the filter, it was there five minutes after we got there and changed and ready to roll out in less than half an hour. Talk about service! Now, could I find the place again if I had to ? No. I doub it. We were so re-routed by then, I was lost, and it was a blizzard. So bonus points. AND, AND, for a gold star, our GPS connection was dead, and we were trying to run it off our laptop powers and so trying to conserve it as much as possible. Joy.

But! All was once again well in the world, as Skippy had our truck healthy and hale once more, and ready for the open road. So we set off. Our goal was the North/South Carolina border, at a wonderful layover spot called Sallys Ark [this place I CAN find again, and have several times, I love it] We did get a back up plan to stop over in Virgina though, because it was about 12:30-1pm by the time we got on the road for real and we werent even to Syracuse yet.

The drive was on and off blizzards pretty much the whole way. We eventually decided to just haul tail for Sallys, because other wise day two would just be another crazy long day, and I would rather do one uber day and one short day. So uber day commence.

Around 7 or 8pm both E and I were getting to the point of boredom. Just the whole stuck-in-a-car forever thing, and so we both broke out our little 5-hour energy drinks and downed the powerful energizing brew.... WELL! When they say powerful energy kick... THEY MEAN IT! We were buzzing and bouncing for HOURS. At fuel stops we were literally running in and out of the stations and jumping around, chatting and generally being insanely hyper. Anyone who has seen me buzzed on Easter Cream Eggs, this was 20x that. Imagine. Now run and hide.

It was crazy, it was fun, I dont particularly want to do it again, but it got us there. 2:30am we pulled in, unloaded ponies, fed them, unblanketed, and went to bed. Oh, but not before trying for a good while to text the moms that we got there safe. Backwoods North Carlolina has zero cell reception though, so that didnt fly very well. We tried though! Tucked into bed with an alarm set for 8, we were dead to the world.

Morning came with sunshine at least. We passed through a mini blizzard in north North Carolina, so the sunshine was welcome. I played with both girls at liberty in the round pen before loading them up and that was super fun. They are both such great fun to be with, and its such a challenge to play with both at the same time, accomodating Mo and her left brainedness and Indy and her right brainedness... its fun. I love them.

Indy loaded like a total trooper and Mo her usual self and we were off once more. Luckily, this day ran MUCH more smoothly and we made it to Ocala to J's for about 4:30 I think. We unloaded the girls and they both ran about for 15 minutes or so, rolled, blessed the ground they stood on for being solid and then got to grazing. When I came back a little later, Mo was sound asleep, and yesterday morning bother were out like lights. Poor kids, they get tired too!

E and I had another adventure trying to get into the house we were staying at, we got locked out and such, but eventually got it sorted.

I got to play with the ponies yesterday a little, when it stopped raining for a while. That was nice. I groomed them both up shiny, clipped Mo's chin hairs and cleaned up her front legs a little. Played with clipped approach and retreat for Indy's chin and legs and then played with my still-shiny-new feather lines that I got for Christmas with Mo.

WOW! What a star she is, and how much FUN are feather lines?? Such a cool way to feel for lightness! Also played with some zone five driving with walk/trot/backup transitions and the figure eight. Mo is a star. I couldnt have been happier with her. I turned one of the lines into a hackamore style rein set and 12' line and moseyed over to the pedestal. As soon as Mo saw me getting up on there she started to come to me sideways. She was quite a ways away to, because she had been lollygagging a bit. Silly Mo. Still, it was really nice to have that obvious invite of 'Lets go for a ride'. We didnt do to much, because I was still getting the feeling of Mo being travel-tired. Just some bends and haunches/shoulders in and backing practice from my seat. Also did one walk canter transition, just to see how little I could do and still get it. The answer is next to nothing :-D I was pretty excited. I only did it once, because I didnt want to push it when she was obviously trying so hard even though she was tired.

Funny side bar about clipping - Mo fell asleep while I was doing under her jaw and I had to hold her head up at times... silly horse.

Pretty much the whole time I was doing stuff with Mo, Indy was stalking us, trying to get in on the action, or rumaging around in the things I left on the bridge - brushes, showsheen, clipper box open... she messed up all the things with her curiosity. Which.. I am glad she curious, but I am also glad she didnt break my camera that was sitting there to!

It was raining here when I was finishing up playing yesterday, so on went their rainsheets. They looked pretty miserable in the morning time all wet and with their long hair, so since it was chilly anyways, I thought they would be ok with their things on. They seemed happy this morning when I went out to feed them.

So, thats my adventure thus far, I will endevor to keep the world updated as much as I can
:-)
S

1 comments:

Parelli Central said...

Wow, sounds like you had quite the trip. Glad you made it safe and sound. Crossing fingers for the rest of the adventure!

Petra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
Parelli Central