CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Intern Life!!

So! Life is pretty awesome right now. Week one as an Intern is almost complete - tomorrow is Sunday, our day off. Today was pretty much a day off too, there were Parelli Games on campus this morning that I wanted to take Mo to, but since there were so many incoming students we opted out.

Instead we saddled up and moseyed around taking it easy and eating grass. This week has been fabulous. Check in was on Monday, which I was MAJORLY right brain about. I didnt even really realize just *how* right brain I was going, but it was pretty extreme, because the let down after I got here was huge. Giant adrenaline release to go with my extreme tension! Good thing I could recognize it for what it was, yey Parelli.

We got checkin in all great, Mo got her pen, next to Hank and Spalshy. She has turnout now, but was in a pen for the first few days. She has been a total rockstar, I am really proud of her. Coming from J's she loaded up perfectly. I couldnt have asked for better. Brought her out of the pasture and over to the trailer, intending to play a little but she opted right onto it, and looked at me all proud of herself, telling me to shut the door and hit the road already! Go Mo :-D


Monday was a settle in day, we just got our pen assignments and room locations and unpacked and such. I did some groceries and got myself fed and crashed pretty early! Day one started bright and shiny, we had horsemanship all morning after starting with a name game and a pretty fun game of soccer. Do keep in mind though that I have never in my life played team sports. Not a one. I even skipped out in gym class if in any way possible because my coordination is .... completely lacking in every way! Goodness only knows how I ride a horse... but I do. SO! Day one and team sports. I tried really hard, failed miserably, but had fun. We have played every day since then, and I think I have improved, I feel like I have anyways. I am definately more confident to go after the ball, and have the bruises to prove it. I try to remind people that soccer isnt a contact sport, but I am not sure they all believe me.... either way, its a lot of fun, and a great way to ramp up our energy in the mornings.

Generally we have morning meetings at 8:30, soccer time after that, then horsemanship with our ponies til lunch time. After lunch we have either done hay, auditions, or had horse development time with Kalley so far. Its been really great. Lots of learning and fun. We combine [or have so far] our horsemanship time with the Extern lessons, so that has been really good for Mo - learning how to be in a GIANT arena with about 25 other horses. She was quite emotional the first day, speeding around and glaring at everyone who dared come into her bubble. She is a bit more controlled now in her glaring, and her gait has evened out almost completely, depending on where we are. For the most part she has returned to her introverted self, though I had a few days of FUN extroversion!!

I have been having a blast being able to be here at Parelli Land, meeting new people, seeing old friends and learning new things. Its only the first week, so I cant wait to see what will come! ...Apparently we are going to be having a soccer game of Intern/Extern VS Apprentices/Protogees.... so that should be super fun!!

:-)
S

0 comments: