CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Ajax Update

Yesterday afternoon at about 5:30 when my mom and me stretchered Ajax out to pee he did the single best thing he ever could have done - HE GOT UP AND WALKED! It was slow. It was unsteady. It was sore. BUT HE WALKED!

He took only a whole five steps, didnt pee, and layed back down but I didnt care. I was just beyond thrilled her GOT UP! Before that he spent the morning in the vet hospital, getting drugs and blood tests. He still hadnt tried to move there, so he was stretchered back into our car and we took him home. In order to stretcher him, they muzzled him... I have never seen Ajax look so abject in misery before. He is SUCH a happy dog, all the time, even all day yesterday, but he was NOT happy with being muzzled!

The vet kept re-itterating to me how I may have to muzzle him to roll him over [so he wouldnt get bedsores] and I just kept thinking in my head "Are you nuts?? Ajax would NEVER hurt me" I didnt say anything, but ask me if I muzzled him later... the answer is no. Did I get bit, mauled or growled at? No. He wagged his tail. Because Ajax is awesome. The best dog EVER.

Once home we comfied him up in our living room, gave him his drugs and put ice packs under his front ankles, which were determined as the problem point. His joints swelled up and are causing him tons of pain - hence the reluctance to put weight on them. He lounged all day, eating the treats I gave him, but no dog food, and not drinking except what I forced down his throat.

At 5 ish mom came home and we brought him out and miracle or miracles my doggy walked! Overjoyed is a mild understatement. I let him sun himself for a while and then encouraged him to walk back into the house, which he did, slowly and carefully! When he layed down again I put his ice packs back on and let him rest.

At bed time I re-drugged him as per instructions and we walked out to the back to his house to put him and Sable away for the night. He seemed happy enough to go. This morning when they came out Ajax walked from the back yrad all the way around the house to the front yard to plop in the front grass. I brought him out his drugs and he [mostly] took them nicely. When I came back out with his food and water dishes he had moved to his more usual spot in the walkway in the shade. I gave him lots more treats and hugs before heading off to work... hopefully he is still there, resting and recovering!

A side benefit [very minor] to this forced inactivity was that I was able to finish Jax's haircut that I have been procrastinating for.... weeks. He looks slightly less dorky now! Yey!

AND HE CAN MOVE AGAIN!

:-)
S

0 comments: