CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Ouch :-(

On Saturday night my canine companions became caped crusaders, determined to rid the world of vermin.... Only they picked an angry pregnant racoon, and my back porch as the location of their show down. Everything seemed to go in their favour, only minor cuts and scrapes, slightly destroyed porch, mutilated pool noodles and one very large, very dead racoon.



The next day was spent lounging on the front porch, licking their wounds and recuperating. The day after seemed to go as normal, off on their usual rounds - until it came time for bed. Sable came running home as per usual [ although on three legs, as she injured one in the battle] but Ajax walked home, very, very slowly. Due to his innately lazy and slow going nature, I just thought he was tired and so I put him to bed.



This morning: mild disaster. Ajax would not get up. He would not walk. His front legs were stiff. After trying for some twenty minutes to encourage him to move we decided to take him to the vet hospital next to my work office. Ajax is not a small dog mind you, and moving him is no mean feat. I fetched a sheet from in the house and he was uncerimoniously rolled into it and carted to the back of the jeep. Not very high on the dignity scale, but at least it was effective.



At the vet hospital Ajax still wouldnt get up. The doctor probed him, weighed him, bent his paws and he bore all of this with his usual good temper. The vet found some swelling and joint soreness in his front paws and a minor fever, so it was decided to give him some anti-inflamatory medication for the pain and take some blood work. With that desicion being made, there was nothing more I could do, but leave him at the hospital and cart myself off to work.... so here I sit, waiting for the vet to call me and tell me Ajax made a miraculous recovery and is going to be just fine.



Updates as I get them



S

0 comments: