CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Friday, December 19, 2008

Hard Choices

Now that I am basically settled back from my adventure I have had a lot to think about. A lot a lot. I want very much to back and participate in the Extern Program with Parelli. I want my future to be in Parelli, and to do that I need to get back to Florida or Colorado. Either will do, although I would prefer to leave sooner rather than later. Which begs the money question. How do I get it? What do I do with it? How can I be smart about it? Where will it come from once my job ends?

It also begs the question of horses. I have three, yet only a two horse trailer. A recent fiasco has seen Dakota evicted from his barn, and so he is at home. This is working out alright, but it isnt my favorite layout. I do prefer keeping all three in one place, just for convienence sake, but this is what I have to do, so be it. Sadly, since I have been back I havent done anything basically but go and feed ponies. The weather has been dreadfull, and is scheduled to get worse. Cold subzero and windy, with upcoming forty centimeters of snow. Joy oh bliss.

So the choice I have made: I have decided that in this situation, right this second, I am not being fair to Dakota. I dont have the time to dedicate to such a great horse in the prime of his life because I am infatuated with Mo and Indy. Both are young and need the time, and when I think of who I want to play with more, it is them. Mo I adore just because she is who she is, and Indy fascinates me with all the talent she has about EVERYTHING! She could do L4 stuff no problem [when I figure out how to do it first]

Thus the desicion has come about that it is time to sell Dakota. It has been a really difficult choice to come to terms with, but I know in my heart that it is right for him. And thats what this has to be about. It isnt fair to him that I would be galivanting off for months at a time with Indy and Mo and then leaving him high and dry all alone at home to sit in a pasture. He deserves his very own person to love and dote on JUST him. He is that great. Sure he can be a dork, but what horse is perfect all the time?

They say that if you love something, set it free, right? Well, since I am pretty sure it isnt legal to just open the gate and let him go, I am doing my best to find him a new home that will suit him and be his next forever home. He has been with me for almost nine years. I dont want him to have the trauma of home jumping now. I am going to be very picky about where he goes.

So thats my news.... sad but true.

S

0 comments: