CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Monday, January 26, 2009

It's WARM! We Got Hay and PLAYED!

Today dawned bright and WARM! 80 degrees by lunch time. I LOVE it! I 'slept in' til 8:15 then got up for breakfast [mmmmm omlette!] and then went to feed Indy and Crystal down the street. When B got back from her feeding job we went on adventure to get hay. We were considering how many bales to get, 10 or 15 but then the lady said you can get a bundle of twenty one bales that is all tied together with metal tie straps. We opted for that since that much hay should keep us for the whole three months here!

It was loaded into Goliath with a fork lift and it even fit all the way in so I could close the tailgate! From there we went to the farm where Chance and Mo live to go play and get some metal snippers.

Mo was in an interesting mood today. I think she was still the tiniest bit right brain from moving and being with a new herd and things. She was responsive, but sluggish, both because she was warm and because she was distracted. She did come around eventually and we got some neat things done.

We played in the round pen and over some logs, practicing our liberty a bit. Change of direction was good, and draw was good to most of the time, though usually just at a walk. I can get trot draw online, but at liberty not so much! We are playing with it though. I got some carrots to cut up for incentive to have tomorrow.

After playing around with some liberty I stood on the pedestal and Mo sidepassed over so I jumped on and we played with some bridless around the cones I had set up in a square around the pedestal. That was fun. Really good focus task. We started by weaving around through them like we did online and then I started getting her to do circles around each one. Both at a walk and a trot. We cantered a little bit, doing canter halt transitions, and then Mo was really sweaty and warm so we just walked around. I attached a savvy string to her halter for one rein and then we went out over to where B and Chance were getting a log to put under the trailer tailgate so we can practice loading.

Mo and I just stood in some shade and waited, and then B mounted up and we went on a 'trail ride' around the fence line of the pasture to cool out. We had a following from the other horses in the pasture and that was fun, being able to protect our space without scaring our own horses. We found out that if B protects her space more, Chance wont be making ugly faces at Mo! That was pretty interesting.

Trail ride completed we called it a day and went home to find food. We need to be better prepared tomorrow and bring food and water with us!

:-)
S

0 comments: