CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Friday, July 10, 2009

The Perfect Summer Day!

Today, as my title indicates, was my perfect summer day. The sun finally made a re-appearance after what seems like a month long hiatus. It was warm, sunny, and generally fabulous.

The morning started things off right, by being able to wake up on my own time. That is always a good thing. I went over to Aunty's to play with Crystal. I had meant to play with her yesterday night, but I ended up getting home way to late and was exhausted. Especially with Crystal right now I want to make sure I am there 100% for her mentally, so I didnt think it would be fair to her last night.

Out in the pasture she walked over to me which was really nice. She haltered nicely and came right with me to the gate to the barn. Mo was also at the gate asking very politely to get in. Things havent been so hot with Mo lately [more later] so I let her into the barn and put her in her stall to nap until I was done with Crystal. Yes, she litterally naps, flat out and all.

Crystal and I proceded out to the ring to change to the 22', grab the saddle and pad and carrot stick. Things went fabulously. She was right on. We played some really nice yo-yo and she finally offered me some ultra soft beautiful relaxed squeeze game over a jump! That was a first! I am really proud of her for that. I asked for a little feet-moving in a circle game before bringing her over to the saddle set up on the mounting block for investigation. She did a good job investigating to. Our Touch It is pretty great! 22' away ... put your nose on the saddle... OKY! Done and done. What a cool horse.

After thoroughly nibbling, sniffing and otherwise curiosing her way about the saddle I walked over and offered to lift the pad for her to check out further. She was thrilled with that! Ears all perked and happy, she sniffed it all over both sides and moved on to the saddle while I threw the pad all over her. This is old news to her, I do this with the bareback pad each time we play. PERFECT!

Next came the saddle. She was pretty interested in that. I dont think she could figure it out. Its synthetic and smells like other ponies but it jingles and is shaped funny... Hmmm! I swung it around a couple times, letting her check it out completely and threw it on and off of her back before finally just leaving it up there. She didnt even flinch. Blinking, licking, and thinking, she was right with me.

I let the girth down and did it up enough so that if she chose to go nuts it would stick with her without being dangerous. Again, perfect. As I stepped back to pick up the stick and ask her something she kinda of tensed and looked a teensy bit tight and concerned. On a 50/50 chance of either letting her wait it out, or explode on the spot, I gave her something to think about [based on previous experience last time she got that look] and asked her for a fast backup NOW.

That did the trick! She tuned right back into me and stepped back nicely and when she relaxed I allowed her to stop. From there we went into a nice soft circling game at all three gaits with transitions and some relaly great disengages and draw. We played some more with the squeeze over the jump, which interestingly, was harder now, so I waited for the relaxation.

When I felt like she was ready I brought her over to the mounting block and did my run-through of pre-riding checks and then.... mounted! TADA. Just like every other time, she just stood still, and offered me lateral flexion. What a doll.

The ride went like a dream, everything I asked, she did. Without hesitation and to the best of her understanding. She tries so hard! Our last ride was out first trotting ride, so we played more with the go button and transitions, doing walkl halt and trot transitions all over the place. She was fabulous. What a clever horse!!!

So Crystals ride went perfectly. YEY! I am so happy with how she is coming along. Aunty is to, and thats my basic goal. Really, owner of horse = second priority after making sure pony is happy. Much happiness all around, on to Mo.

In between Crystal and Mo I went into the house to get a beverage because it was le warm and beautiful out. It would be a shame to waste such a nice day sick due to dehydration!

When I left the barn Mo was covered in shavings, having actually had her nap, but she was up. When I got back, she was snoozing again! Gotta love Mo. She is so cute! The best part about the napping-ness is that she lets me come over to her when shes sleeping and clobber her. Ok, clobber isnt the right word, but I hug her and sit on her and generally adore her.

Such is exactly what I did. Quietly walk over to visit my snoozing Mo and say hi, hug her giant cranium and start rubbing her. Eventually I somehow end up sitting on her..[oops] ... We hang out like that for a while, shes dozing and I am sitting on her hugging her neck, relaxing myself. Now that is NICE. I love that relaxing feeling. It just makes you feel super close to your horse when they let you do that.

After hanging out that way for a bit I went back to kneeling by her head and rubbing her face and such. She then proceded to let out this huge sigh and relax even more. I decided to see what would happen if I tried to suggest lying flat out to her.... MUCH to my surprise Mo promptly groans happily and lies flat out. Like a giant doggie I go and scratch her belly and she luxuriously stretches out her legs and neck like an actual puppy, loving every minute of it. To conclude this lovely session, EXACTLY like I would with my *actual* doggie, I got up and said "Ok, lets go" and *poof* up she gets. HA! My goodness I love my pony.

I walked out of the stall and Mo followed me over to where I usually brush and such. I got my brushes and cowboy magic and started tackling *all* Mo's hairs... and she has many. I promise. Stock in Cowboy Magic, I should buy.

When she was all shiny and beautiful I took a few pictures of my efforts while she harassed the bin she knows the grain lives in. Then I braided her hair up so it would be out of the way and mounted bareback for a brief trail ride. We had played some little games on the lawn and in the barn [Mo bows now! Total accident, she dove for a dropped cookie once so I took it and shaped it!] and off we went on a mini trail ride. We rode through the trails, in the river some and back to the barn. Mo was in a weird mood, but handle-able.

She has kind of been off the last little while and I havent figured out why, so I wasnt going to push her, I wanted this to be a really good session for her, so I got off and snapped on my 22' and started playing on the ground in the ring. We played some really cool sideways from long distances with sideways towards and then played with some rather awesome transitions on the circle. I was *this* close to getting passage!! My focus was transitions within the trot, so slow, medium and fast and then as slow as you can to as fast as you can. Her as-slow-you-can was SO close to passage! I couldnt believe it. I was so proud. We played lots with energy up and down and how little could I do to get a response, send off at a slow trot or send off at a gallop... VERY cool stuff!

We stopped there and I took Mo to graze in the yard while I put things away. She was pretty impressed with that I think. Its only her favorite thing ever :-)

I had originally planned to also play with Indy, but I was super toasty and wanting to swim, so I just took some treats out to her instead - good for the relationship points. Before turning Mo out I also rasped her feet a little and she was a star! I dont have a stand so I had to use a bucket over turned and she was peachy with that. She was actually better today than ever before with letting me do her feet, held them up all on her own and everything. *duh... play with her FIRST!* Why dont I understand that yet?!?!

Either way, Mo had a fabulous session and I am so so proud of her. She was even collecting herself on the circle, tucking her head and stretching alternately. Beautiful! Transitions really do work... !

To complete the perfect summer day, I went to my "cottage" [aka grandparents in suburbia who have a pool] swam for several consecutive hours, had Dairy Queen ice cream, swam some more, then had pizza with the Grammie and cousins. Awesome day. Super worn out now, but awesome day. I love my life :-)

:-)
S

0 comments: