CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Thunderstorms Get In The Way...

I know this is Canada, and as such I should be used to inclimate weather and such, but really, it has rained basically every day this summer so far. Even the great sunshiny days, it rains at some point. I am sure there are statistics about it somewhere!

When I got out to the barn today it was SUNNY. So I thought *yey* I can finally play with Crystal again, since the eons of rain have prevented to much play, when I do get out to it, I want to play with my ponies! They were all in "The Spot" when I went out. Everyone sort of waltzed over slowly, faster after the first to arrive got a small cookie! Crystal seemed pretty pleased to be chosen, but Mo was rather put out. She cracks me up that one!

As soon as Mo saw me halter Crystal she marched her butt right up to the gate and basically intimated that she got to come in to or else. Realistically, I could have made her move, but I was feeling generous so I let her into her stall for some nap time. Goober pony.

Crystal and I had some really nice online play time! She is improving every time. She goes out into the pasture when I dont play with her and just soaks on what she knows. Thats what it feels like. She just gets better and better. Her figure eight today was practically flawless. Trotting calmly and just flowing. So responsive and sensitive to what direction I was asking her. Love it!

I also made a circling game out of two sets of barrel jumps, one of the big barrels lying down and one of the small barrels lying down. She had to circle jumping both of those each round. That was cool. Her squeeze game over barrels was so good now, but she would turn face and wait after each time she jumped, if I asked her to or not - hence the new game! Fixing the assumption! She picked it up right quick and was really starting to jump nicely!

When she first started actually jumping instead of just pushing through, I have to say, I didnt know if she would ever figure it out. Lo an dBehold though, she has the makings of an adorable hunter in her! Even a jumper maybe! She sure has the legs for it! Just needs that summer belly worked off a little bit...

I rearranged the ring to make it suitable for a cloverleaf game. During that time I parked Crystal at a barrel, which was cool. She just hung out and waited. Investigated the barrel and such. No fear in that one anymore! I love it. I *adore* seeing her confidence blossom. It is my favorite thing about playing with her. She was such a little skittish thing, and has been since ever, but really she just needed to know HOW to be confident. Even the boarders are commenting on how much more friendly she is in the pasture - like she is a different horse! GO CRYSTAL!

When I sent her to the saddle she went right to it, sniffed it and was content. I saddled her up and off we went again, this time negotiating the assumption that yo-yo means take off on a circle. She is pretty clever though and got it after two tries.

Pretty much as soon as I mounted it started thundering. Yep, seriously. I didnt really think anything of it, not much will get me off a pony weather-wise save lightning or walls of water. So Crystal and I walked a couple of laps and trotted a couple of laps and got ONE cloverleaf pattern in before the drops hit. I thought it might just sprinkle so stayed out...

Enter WALL OF WATER.

Yep, wall of water. Talk about moisture! *insert running for the barn here* I even hung out in the entrance for a while thinking it could rain this hard for long... turns out it can. 40 minutes later, it was still raining. So I gave in and unsaddled Crystal, gave her her treats and grain and put her out. HUGE compliment here -HUGE - Crystal STAYED at the back door for something like 20 minutes. I am not kidding! FIRST ever! Not because of the weather, because its not sheltered back there, just because. She was looking in the barn, watching me hang with Mo, generally just relaxing by herself. That is a total first for Miss Herdbound. JOY!!!!! I am SO proud of her!!!!

On to Mo! Of course, my dear napsalot was fresh up from a snooze, shavings decorating her everywhere. So cute. I didnt really do to much with Mo other than practice our mounting thing in her stall - her stall is the foaling stall [for no reason other than she likes luxury and it was the only one left] so its practically 10 x 20 giving us lots of room! I played from a bucket and that went well so then I practiced getting her to keep her head low enough for me to swing over from the ground and getting her confidence with that. In the end I got up three times, which was cool. Not sure it was entirely left brain though, so I am not celebrating yet! Going to let her simmer on it for a bit before asking again. Definate improvement though!

Oh, and Mo also is figuring out that if she bows, she gets a cookie, so when I ask her now, I dont always have to show her nose where to go, which is really cool. She is starting to ask her own body questions and try to figure out where it is supposed to go in order to win a treat. Such a doll! After all that I spent some time attacking the millions of hairs on her head that are soooo long, making her look like some acient flowy goddess pony.

I loves my Mo :-)

:-)
S

0 comments: