CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Crystal Tries Out Reins!

I played with Crystal today, after playing back hoe driver in the morning and early afternoon. I cut out a little early to get to the farm before a thunderstorm rolled in - luckily I beat it!

We played on the ground with her wearing the bridle, which went well. We worked on cater transitions online because she was swishing her tail undersaddle - interestingly she did it with NOTHING on her back to, so I am wondering if its just an introvert "I dont wanna go" thing. She stopped it after about three transitions. Interesting. I wonder if its related to the bridle?

I re-visited our figure eights, and our circles over two sets of barrel jumps, both are solidly coming along. Crystal's juping for is MUCH improved from the laughable state it was when we started! She is doing so well!

When I saddled her she took a few steps while I was girthing up, so we played with some approach and retreat until she was ok with that again. I think she just wanted to play. She was as playful as I have ever seen her today, offering canter through the figure eight, asking loads of questions about which direction to go and such! Cool stuff!

When I went to ride I put the 12' line as reins AND the finesse reins on the confidence snaffle on the bridle. My logic being that I could direct in a sort of double bridle sense to help transfer follow a feel from the halter to the bit. She did great with it! I am really proud of her! We worked on our cloverleaf pattern in both directions at the trot, and canter transitions -which are getting better and better each time! She even offered it a couple of times when I didnt ask for it! Not sure if thats the greatest yet, but its a nice offer, and it wasnt a bolt, it was an honest offer for what she thought I was asking. I just polietly re-phrased my request and we trotted on.

After the ride we went to play with the trailer. Getting ocnfidence to put her feet on the ramp and then in. Interesting observation - she hasnt been on a trailer since she came to us as a yearling [she is 6 now] BUT she would FOLLOW me into the trailer willingly after her confidence got high with the ramp. She would not be brave enough to go in on her own yet though. I thought that was interesting. "OTs ok if my leader goes in, but if she is outside I should be to" is so far her opinion. We got as far as nose-neck-two front feet on the very edge of the inside confidently beforr I quit for the day. I thought it was a good stop point. She DID put all fours inside, just not on a send, on a yo-yo game instead.

Someone is coming to see Crystal tomorrow, so I hope what we played with today shines through and someone will fall in love with her!!

:-)
S

0 comments: