CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Monday, August 24, 2009

Productive Day

I got a lot done today! And not just with the ponies, so that is good. Unfortunately I cant ride 24/7 and still be able to exist and all that... Maybe some day!

I started the day mowing the ring once more, scalping it on the lowest setting. It looks really nice again AND I didnt get stuck tis time! I may have been aided by the fact that it hasnt been raining every day, but I am still calling that a plus!

Indy got to play first today. It was really really interesting online! We have been playing with upping our figure eight lately and so we went over to play with that. Last night was a bit bracy on the turns but today was just gorgeous and flowy!! I remember thinking "Oh wow.. this feels really good!" She was giving me enthusiasm and canters and really tuned in trying really hard. On my end, when she was drifting to far, I wasnt interrupting her, I was trying to see if I could just redirect her attention and help her find the pattern... lo and behold! Success! Hmmm... how interesting!

We played with transitions as well , and circles over the barrels and some more stick to me. All went very well. Our yo-yo to, is coming along really nicely, she really puts effort into backing up even at phase 1/2! YEY!

After saddling and doing some more little things to check the girth and whatnot, I bridled her and off we went, same set up as yesterday. We did a couple of rounds walking and doing circles at the walk with the reins on her neck AGAIN! She was fabulously responsive! Really following my focus and I wasnt having to use my leg hardly at all. What a neat feeling!

We picked up the trot and went into a cloverleaf pattern, which went surprisingly well! I played with my fluidity, trying out the sitting trot and trying not to over-post. I find I do that a lot with Indy because her stride is big, but its not bouncy, so I over exagerate for no reason, or maybe because I used to have a hard time with her trot, so I try to hard now even though I have a pretty good handle on it. I played a lot wiht letting her motion be the only thing that pushed me around and I must say I was quite surprised how LITTLE I came out of the saddle. Fun Fact: When I was playing with this and finally picked a posting tempo that matched her better, she stopped speeding up at the trot when I posted! HOW INTERESTING! Something to this Fluidity stuff... HA!

After feeling pretty comfy with the trot we moved into the canter and kept it up for longer than we had yesterday. I had an interesting surprise waiting for me - I found out I used the reins to balance at the canter! Not in a haul-on-the-mouth way, just in a position way. I was used to balancing her canter with my hands down where they would be with the reins, and when they werent there my balance was off! Hmm... So we played with that a bit and it got better. Not perfect yet, but definate improvement. Interesting that I never had that with Mo... I think it is the stride length difference and just being accustomed to having reins in my hand, even freestyle.

After a couple of trot/canter transitions Indy got a bit impulsive, so before something went wrong I opted to pick up the reins. We played with some more fluid rein and contact and such. We also played with transitions within the trot - how slow can you go, how fast can you go. The coolest thing with those was that I wasnt using my leg at all, she was super in tune to my body energy! She was very soft and flowy, extending easily and slowing down easily to while maintaing mental contact and following my focus. It was very cool. Very light. It really showed me where lightness can go.

On one particularly sharp extended trot to halt in our question box I jumped off and called it a day. We breifly addressed trailer loading before turning out - it is SO much better. Basically walk up and get in AND be comfy for me to put the but bar up. YEY!

When we were all done and she was out I went home for lunch and came back later to hang with Mo. She was in the shed, so I crawled through the fence to say howdy and we walked over to the gate that way, semi at liberty/led by the mane. My initial plan was to do a passenger lesson bareback, so I just grabbed the confidence snaffle bridle and reins, because they are lighter that the 12' all done up. We played online first of course, with some interesting results.

Right off the bat Mo was in a strange mood. I was walking along and I asked her to go out and around me a *little* bit and she literally took off at a dead gallop. Mo. Dead gallop. The horse I cant get to maintain three circles at a canter lapped me four times at least GALLOPING. I was just to stunned to interrupt, and she looked left brain about it. I just figured she was being oversensitive, so I played with it, aimed her at barrels, got changes of direction, transitions and all kinds of things. A little bit of figure eight to. It was only later when I finally got her to hold still that I saw/felt the emotional sweat and I found out it wasnt left brain. Or maybe it was, just adrenaline, because she was still paying attention and doing what I suggested. I am not quite sure what happened yet.

It worked out in the end, I focused on close range circles, trying to get her to lower her head and relax. She is really good at putting her head down one way, and will do it at the walk trot and canter, to the extent of even kicking herself in the chin on occasion. The other way is a lot harder, I think her ribs are a little out. She made some small changes, but not all the way loose the other way yet. But at least she was calm and not so ready to run off. I chose this moment to mount up.

Surprisingly, after all the fireworks, the ride was beautiful. Not what I expected, but beautiful. I was planning a mostly freestyle bareback passenger lesson. What happened was a beautiful finesse ride! She was softly collect in all gaits, lightly responding to my leg, following the pattern [cloverleaf] just beautifully. I was even impressed in my head by Mo, she was so soft, I was able to suggest a soft feel with the reins and ONLY suggest a soft feel with the reins. I wasnt using the reins for turning or anything else! I am so proud of Mo! Lightness is coming!!!

:-)
S

0 comments: