CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Extrovert Within the Introvert!

Last Sunday was a fun day. It was sunny, if chilly, so I took advantage and went outside. My initial thought had been desire to play with Zephyr and Mo online and maybe ride Mo later on if things went well and the footing was good.  As per usual, things went sideways and I ended up going outside in a peculiar mood. Odd phonecalls can have that effect on me I guess.

I went outside jsut wanting to really hug a pony, soI grabbed a carrot and some other cookies and went out. I got mobbed, what else is new. Everyone got their share and then I went to the fence. Mo and Zephyr came too. I climbed up on the fence and suddenly NEEDED to sit on Mo, so I asked her to come over and she did. Lucky me. I mounted and gave her more cookies, and Zephyr some too, since she was there, looking all hungry and forlorn... right.

We just sat for a while. I rubbed Mo. Played with lateral flexions bridleless, and snuggled with Zephyr, who had her head in my lap. Cutie. Eventually I moseyed off. At first Zephyr came with us, but shortly got distracted by some overturned barrels, which was ok. Mo and I wandered around the untouched feild, making footyprints willy-nilly and playing with our yeilds. Hind quarters, fore quarters.... hows our sideways? Backing was pretty awesome. I am really proud of Mo, especially since I didnt really do anything before mounting and havent done much of anything with her at all lately!

This was all just at a walk, wandering and checking stuff... until I hear this crazy squeal and small thunder. I look over to the barn and here comes this beige little mammoth child that is Zephyr! Galloping, bucking, squealing for all shes worth, down the hill, flying over to where me and Mo are standing. She screeched to a halt in front of us and politely demanded a cookie. Really. Lesson One: Find out what motivates your introvert. Cookies. Got it. Lesson Two: Reward good things, like gallop draws. Good. Stuffing cookies into Zephyr. Done.

I put a neck string on Mo at that point, since Zephyr was pretty energized and I felt like I needed a safety net a bit. I moved Mo around a little and Zephyr would trot with us a little, tear off bucking and squealing and then come back all ears up asking for a cookie. Id give her one, and we would repeat - though her sessions of sticking with us got longer. Pretty cool. Liberty stick to me, compeltely unintentionally!

After a whole bunch of rounds galloping around, she finally seemed to run out of some steam... I thought.... She got down and rolled and rolled.... then got back up and ZOOMED over to me and Mo, all proud of herself, so she got some more cookies. Apparently this was a great pattern! She rolled and raced over to us probably six times in a row, getting cookies each time. She seemed pretty proud of her little mammothy self.

I couldnt stop laughing at her. She was just being beyond ridiculous. It was like she had forgotten the pasture was out there and couldnt help herself from playing. Since Mo was the only one out htere, she was the target! She was so exuberant and playful, I will always keep that image in my mind when its me ASKING her to do something, and trying to motivate the introvert to something fun! This was the most extroverted I have seen her. It was priceless. I am so lucky that D came out to take some pictures and video of her, because now I never have to forget it!

Mo was also a great partner, listening and being where I needed her to be. Also not getting caught up in Zephyrs crazy. She was relaxed, and getting some pretty nice stretches at the trot!

I am so excited for Zephyrs future! She is such a fun little horse! Highly entertaining at the very least!


:)
S

0 comments: