CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Odd Experience

I had a very odd experience tonight with the horse that boards at my house today.

I went out to feed, and everything was normal. I have been adding some Flax Appeal to her grain, and using some water to mix it in, which she seems to like. Indy was being a bit of a spaz, so she was trying to pick everyones bowl but her own.

Finally everyone settled down to eat and I went to set out the hay. When I came back from setting the hay out, Roxy was looking at me, and pawed once at her food bowl. I assumed that meant that I hadnt put enough mixing water in, so I grabbed the bowl and added more water. After swooshing it around I brought it back out and was confronted with an interesting sight. She was laying down. My first thought was to be worried. Not a great response, I know, but when a horse suddenly lays down, I think any sane person wonders about colic!

I brought the bowl over to her to see if she wanted any, but she wasnt interested. The thing *I* was most interested in though, was that she actually allowed me to approach her! This mare is EXTREME RBE, usually just approachign her in the pasture requires approach and retreat to get her confident, and there she was, totally confident allowing me to walk right up to her while she was down. 

I offered her the food bowl, but she ignored it, so I rubbed her and asked her to get up, which she did. I moved her food bowl over to where she had walked and she laid down again.I was definately concerned then. I went over to her again, again she was good with me walking right up. I sat with her for a bit, leaned down on her belly to see if I could hear any gut sounds. I could, so then I was a little stumped. I sat with her a little more, resting my weight on her, which again she was good with, surprise.

We hung out for a little, then I got up and she got up, looked at me, like she accomplished what she needed and then walked purposefully over to her bowl and promptly, compeltely finished her dinner.

Huh.

How interesting.

I have no idea what just happened. But it felt very surreal and life we forged a real connection... for no discernible reason that I could find.

Still licking and chewing on that one.

:)
S

0 comments: