CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Monday, October 13, 2008

Oh Right Brain Extroverts.....

Yesterday was by far Indy's worst day.. *sigh*

We played for a while. I got to the barn early because some other plans fell through. Indy caught me just fine, and was great while I brushed her and we practiced trailer loading for the first time with the new trailer. All of that went grandly. I was impressed, honestly. She had one OMG moment, but nothing really.

So I was completely surprised when we moved into the ring and she went..... mental! Complete RBE freakout. I tried stopping her, no dice, I tried adding energy and she just went faster and checkout even more, I tried everything I could think of and she just got worse. UGH.

I literally broke mentally, and just sat down on some barrels scanning my mind over and over and over looking for something to help Indy. She just sort of stood out of my way - where I made her stay because she kept thinking about running me OVER! - and just huffed and puffed over her exertion. She was getting drenched in emotional sweat. She was a wreck and I didnt know how to help her!

I decided to just go with slow. Now that she was stopped, maybe I could keep her slow... maybe... We headed over to the weave cones and WALKED through them. She tried to trot and freak off a few times, but I was able to shut her down. After walking the pattern a few times she seemed to clue in and be ok and I thought I might be able to help her work off something riding so I mountedbareback. And was shocked by how much her back moves! Mo's stride might not be the most comfortable, but its more jarring than anything. Indy is just .... flowy! Her whole body moves and after attempting a trot, I just sort of internally added that to the checklist of things to practice and saddle up.

We walked around and everything seemed great. Relaxed, flowy and I could stay with her better. It was like a switch flipped and she was suddenly with me. We picked up the trot though and she checked out again so we trotted... and trotted and trotted. Around and around, weaving through every obstacle in the ring, popping over the jumps [more shame for Mo lol] going forever and a day [seriously, forty five minutes at least] before she FINALLY started to blow. A tiny tiny bit. So I called it quits, unsaddled and walked her up and down the laneway.

It was a weird and interesting sort of day.... I dont really know what to think of it, or if I handled it right.....

Either way Mo about tackled when I finished with Indy so I put a savvy string around her neck and hopped up. We jsut walked to the end of the pasture and back, because she was all sluggish and tired from the day before [I would be to if I werent the crazy ovsessed freak I am...ha!] When we got back from visiting with Dakota we maneuvered the ate [cool!] and went to graze on the lawn. I promptly turned around and made myself comfortable lying on Mo's back for the next forty minutes while she grazed. She grazed, I dozed, it felt like perfection.

So a happy ending at least to my ... eventful day. I so wish I could bring Mo to Florida with me. It really kills me that I will have to leave her behind. I know every accomplishment I have with my lease horse, no matter how amazing, will be underscored with "I wish this was Mo". *Sigh* I am so grateful to at least be able to still attend though... its just hard to know my best friend will be at home.

I am hoping that we might at least get accepted to the tour stop....

:-)
S

0 comments: