CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Awesome Indy

Sunday afternoon was just as, if not more, spectacular than Sunday morning. Dakota was amazing, but I know what he can do. Indy still surprises me at every turn. When I caught Indy and brought her in, she stood tied no problem while I went back to fetch annoying Ivy. I tied Ivy further away this time for practice and didnt worry about her at all. The occaisional pebble thrown her way alleviated the pawing thing.

Indy is just honestly the prettyest horse I have ever met. She STILL makes me stop and go wow. I have had/known her for a year and still. Kota and Mo do it to me to, but in different ways. Dakota in spring full golden is just plain gorgeous - but not like Indy, he is more in the magnificent category, noble and strong. Mo is only pretty to me I think. Just because I love her so much. Indy though... is just stunning. And thus, everytime I play with her I feel obligated to help her look her best. I brushed her to a high shine, show sheened her mane and tail and then braided her mane in a nice running braid - oestentiabbly to help keep her cool, since her mane is so long, but really she just looks so pretty all fancied up!

When I came back with the saddle I had to wait EXTRA long before she looked at me. All the way from the tack room door - and she was near the end of the aisle. It was really interesting! When she finally did acknowledge that I was bringing that thing her way again, but that I had waited for her to accept it, she was really happy, so I know it was the right thing to do.

Once she was saddled I changed to a 22' and brought Ivy and a piece of baler twine. I tied Ivy to a sturdy post with the baler twine and proceded to squeeze Indy to and from her. *Usually* Ivy is totally ok with Indy leaving her, as long as she can see her. Ivy acted up a little, but nothing major so I felt ok to walk away. We stayed still close, so that WHEN the little stinker did act up I was close enough to be able to drop Indy and rescue her. *sigh* It happened twice before I just gave up and threw her in the big feild away from us in the ring.

Apparently Baby is ready for weaning, as she was perfectly content to stand in the shed with all the other horses, not worried at all about her mom. Indy was even happier to be rid of the suckling spawn. I am three months to late as far as she is concerned! I was really proud though of Indy for not fretting. I definately think having someone in leadership position helped her.

We played with getting our transitions snappy, and then stopping and putting her nose on the barrel. When she got that she was super excited! Looked at me like "Did you see?? I put my NOSE on it!" Shes so cute. I forget sometimes that shes Mo's age, she 'seems' much older sometimes. Motherhood did that to her. I hate that. I hope now she can rediscover her inner youth. Her eyes just light up with such happiness when she figures stuff out. SUCH a clever horse! So we carreened around, putting our nose on things and taking off in a good working trot instead of the shuffle she sometimes tries to pass off as a trot.

When she was ready, and the girth was tightened I hopped aboard in an almost nimble fahsion, mostly just proud I CAN get on from the ground since the stirrup is waaay up there. Indy walked off a bit, so we will have to work on that. It was the only thing so far she had done to draw towards Ivy, so I couldnt really fault her. I had a hackamore on her, and my carrot stick in my hand. Goal is still to move off of my leg, so minimal reins!

We played with walk follow the rail which was SUPER hard for Indy at first! A million "back at the rail please"s she caught on and walked happily on the rail. Every other lap or so I let her go behind the shed and stop so she could see Ivy through the fence. She licked and chewed each time, so I guess it was good! Helps her know I wont push her to far I guess :-)

When we picked up the trot it was that trot I dream about... the trot that I couldnt post to save my life when I got her. Mo has done WONDERS for my adaptability. I must admit, I was very spoiled by Mr Comfypants Dakota. He is so smooth and slow and comfortable, trying to get in sync with Mo is STILL problematic sometimes. BUT now my muscle memory has in stock all the bazillion different speeds Miss Mo comes up with so now when Indy picks up her gorgeous trot, I can trot WITH her! Yey!

Before I go further I have to reitterate just HOW comfy Indy is to ride. O.M.G. SO smooth, and flowy and just..... drool worthy. You feel like you are just floating around. It is beyond wonderful. I love it. So much!

So anyway...
We trotted around, and then one circuit she seemed to just have extra go to get back to Ivy, so I took advantage, set us up for success, sat back and sent a tad more energy her way and VOILA WE CANTERED!!!!!!!!!!!! For the whole second time in my Indy-career, I cantered her! And this time for more than three strides! [More uber ultra comfyness, just btw]

We cantered all the way down the long side of the ring and stopped [no problem] behind the shed so she could see Ivy. She was licking up a storm! Smart cookie that Indy, for the rest of the session when I asked for a canter it was right there, no questions asked, no fault no fowl, just poof, canter. WOW!

Now Indy is an extrovert, and so a long horse, so eventually all these straight lines got to be a little much and her impulsion got higher as she tried to canter more when I asked for a trot. How interesting! To 'counteract', as it were, the over impulsion, I changed to a concentrated rein [for accuracy] switched my stick down to a more 'crop' position, just so it was out of the way, and went into a million transitions. Trot to walk to back up. Until she was completely with me again.

AND! BONUS! By the end of the session, after doing transitions around barrels in circles, she was STARTING TO MOVE OFF MY LEG!!! WHOOO!!! We will have lightness yet!!!

When doing the transitions I made sure I tried the suspension rein, because Indy likes to dump forwards on the downwards transtitions, this really just helped her pick her self up and come to a stop instead of clunking to a stop.

Walking out went super great to, we went around corners on mostly leg, only some stick to block zone one from veering around in a complete circle. VERY cool!

I am so so so so PROUD of Indy! She was AMAZING! And it looks like Ivy dearest will be departing soon [yey!] so I can get even more quality time with my favorite paint. I am so excited to be able to help Indy develop into the super horse I know she can be!!

:-)
S

0 comments: