CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Back in Action!

Sunday morning I got up and attem because I was supposed to be veiwing my new dvd's with a friend. She called to cancel ten minutes after I got up. Doh! Back injuries suck rather hardcore. I was left with the entire day to myself, with nothing but sunshine and good tunes to accompany me!

Playing with Mo at home has made me feel a little guilty for not playing with Dakota so I grabbed his halter and some apple snacks and went to visit him. He came when I called. What a doll. I love my big yellow horse. He is just the best. When I haltered him he was pretty happy... until I asked him to MOVE now please! Oh boy oh boy sloppy transitions!! We went over to the pedestal for kicks and of course he walked right on [Mr Chicken is very proud to have ''beaten' the pedestal] and eventually over to the round pen to work on our GO means go button.

Surprisingly, given the choice, Dakota WAS walking around the outside rail of the pen. Unlike Mo who kept cutting inside to avoid the effort [dear gods.. not EFFORT!] of stepping over or jumping the cavelleti. Dakota just stepped over them [he is bigger than Mo] and actually stopped at the killer tarp covered one and enthusiastically sniffed and played with it! I was so proud of him!! Usually things like that are a huge no-go without tons of approach and retreat! Maybe some time alone has sort of made him be more self confident?

We played around, circling over the jumps at different speeds, canter was really hard to pick up [lazy] but I got a nice extendo trot, which was cool. I did get a little canter, but it was litterally little. Itty bitty strides, which looks super cute/funny on this giant horse.

Eventually I couldnt resist the itch to ride so I haltered him again and brought him over to the tree to mount. I always forget how big he actually is.. right up until I have to get on. From the log, that I would say is maybe 1 1/2 - 2 feet high, I still have to swing up a la bareback to get on. Joys of short people with tall horses.

I played with some freestyle with Kota, reminding him about listening to me and things, since he was sort of of the mind to go off on his own tangents. We met Mo, who squeeled and jumped from foot to foot [really funny, think small child having a tantrum] for no reason whatsoever. Because of his RBI-ness sometimes freestyle isnt his best suit. Perfect example being the last time he was at Auntys house - RBI to the max but we accomplished some absolutely FABULOUS finesse stuff because he wanted me to hold his hand - ie, take contact on the reins. It was so soft and flowy, but all on a concentrated rein, very cool.

Today was freestyle day though. We did some little point to points between trees. Then just weaving around them and figure eighting. Just basically follow my focus. By the end he was being really light off of my leg, which was super nice. And he was listening and paying attention.

We stopped to talk to the neighbours to, during which time he fell asleep lol.

Gotta Love Kota. He is just fabulous.

:-)
S

0 comments: