CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Friday, September 19, 2008

Bareback Balance

I worked on my balance bareback with Mo yesterday. Interestingly enough, it was Indy who met me at the gate though. That was a nice treat so I just gave her a hug and some scratches and left her on her way. Mo was in the shed so I went over to say hi. She looked happy and walked over to me. After I haltered her I did a few little porcupine games including asking her to 'park out' like a hackney to lower her back for my less than profiecient bareback mounting attempts. I didnt actually get all the way on today, just swung up and managed to hook my leg on her hip. Thank you Mo for just standing there gawking at me.

When I brought her over to a post for me to stand on she siddled right up to me, so I took that as a good sign. When I sat down she walked off. Ugh. I should have gotten off right then, becuase that is a Mo telltale bad sign, but I didnt, I just thought.. I dont know what. So we walked off and Mo was either super impulsive or super trying to get back to the barn. Joy. Bareback on her when she is impulsive and all over the place is not a confidence inspiring thing so I got off [ finally] and went into a big focus debate with her.

She was thinking all towards the barn to I said let me help you, think about the barn, and back in that direction as fast as you can. Her speedy backing really has no sense of direction [we are working on that generally, when focused more] so she went wiggley and got turned around and headed over to the barrels I have in the feild. At the barrels I turned our game into a fast squeeze over, back and forth, back and forth, until she *finally* checked in with me and went "What?! Why am I so energetic??" When she could think I changed the game to circle over the barrels, which was actually pretty successful.

When we were both happy I remounted and we went after Legend who was patrolling the frog population near the road. Mo locked her target on him and when he started racing back to the barn I had to remind her to listen to me, not just follow blindly. We started some trotting circles around the telephone pole for balance and maintain gait, that went well. Both directions. Then what seemed like forever later we played with transitions within gait, fast trot slow trot, which was surprisingly good. I was surprised anyways.

Finally I asked for a canter and got a lovely slow collected UPHILL canter, which I stopped after half a circle before it could degrade [and Im PROUD of that] So we continued our pattern of half circles then trot and then canter transitions. Even some sideways trotting, which was really neat. Our cicles eventually moved from the semi weedy telephone pole area to a flat grassy spot near there. We proceded with more canter transitions and stopping until we changed directions and I realized I wasnt getting my right lead.

I tried a zillion and one different things from all the new things I have seen to try and help her, even a few things from 'normal' books once or twice just to see. In the end, of course, [srsly it makes me ache inside that this is what worked.. ache from laughing I mean] what worked was the very first thing I should have tried. You know in the old Level 2 when Pat asks for canter leads, he sticks on hand out and one hand back? Yeah, that. THAT is what helped Mo get it right. I tapped her bum on the outside to get her to think back there at the trot and then when I asked for a canter, she counter bent her body [ to the outside] in a gigantic effort[it was really REALLY weird] and launched herself into the right lead canter. Hmmm. Ok. I let her canter out to the telephone pole before stopping her.

We got it three times before I called it quits. When we got to the barn I let Mo go in the backyard to graze, a treat for her efforts...

So another weird ride. Interesting and prodictive for sure, but weird. I think Mo has spring fever, except its fall...?

:-)
S

0 comments: